Old 01-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Bill Spohn

Default my gunera is finally taking off

Bill Spohn posted:

Pretty similar out here on the Pacific coast - where are you?

[waving to Bill--have "seen" him on another newsgroup]

(Wine, cars, gardening, photography.....?)

I live in Northern California
I LOVE the plant, but, as tough as the leaves look, they will fry in hot,

dryinland summers.

Gunnera is a bog plant, native to swampy areas of temperate South America,

Yup - it needs a bit of shade or it will fry. Mine bears 4 foot leaves and I
have to keep whacking chunks off the base and planting them elsewhere or it
would take over the fishpond area.

I have a picture on a site I maintain for a club at
http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/albums/...2402/12361.htm

That's a couple of years ago, and the plant just keeps getting bigger and
bigger (it hadn't topped out for the year when that picture was taken, either.

Funniest thing I ever heard of was a nursery that sold a dozen 1 gal. Gunnera
and later found out that the buyer planted them 2 feet apart as a hedge,
obviously not knowing what to expect in terms of growth!