Old 01-05-2003, 12:08 AM
mcameron, bill

Default my gunera is finally taking off

third year for mr gunera

finally it is taking off

4 leaves about 3+ feet tall now
and 30+ inches across

how does that compare to others'
plants about now?

bill

Old 01-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Bill Spohn

4 leaves about 3+ feet tall now
and 30+ inches across

how does that compare to others'
plants about now?

Pretty similar out here on the Pacific coast - where are you?
Old 01-05-2003, 06:44 PM
mcameron, bill

yep same thing with mine the first year

then i had an awakening

i buried an old concrete type laundry tub
neighbors thought "nuts"?
filled it with dirt
then planted it in there

second year it went along ok

this year it is taking off

think it is just a matter of having a reserve of
water to draw on

bill
Old 01-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Bill Spohn

Bill Spohn posted:

Pretty similar out here on the Pacific coast - where are you?

[waving to Bill--have "seen" him on another newsgroup]

(Wine, cars, gardening, photography.....?)

I live in Northern California
I LOVE the plant, but, as tough as the leaves look, they will fry in hot,

dryinland summers.

Gunnera is a bog plant, native to swampy areas of temperate South America,

Yup - it needs a bit of shade or it will fry. Mine bears 4 foot leaves and I
have to keep whacking chunks off the base and planting them elsewhere or it
would take over the fishpond area.

I have a picture on a site I maintain for a club at
http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/albums/...2402/12361.htm

That's a couple of years ago, and the plant just keeps getting bigger and
bigger (it hadn't topped out for the year when that picture was taken, either.

Funniest thing I ever heard of was a nursery that sold a dozen 1 gal. Gunnera
and later found out that the buyer planted them 2 feet apart as a hedge,
obviously not knowing what to expect in terms of growth!