Old 01-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Glenda Young

Default Was: Rachel De Thames - Now: Gender and Gardening

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:56:27 +0100, Victor Meldrew
tippy-typed:

If you've ever seen pictures of her when she was a model you'll notice
she was unusually big around the hips even then. She says she's always
been big-boned around the middle. Wouldn't bother me one bit. I'm not
into skinny birds but I prefer them to know a bit about gardening ;-)

I hardly think there's anything unusual about a woman having hips but
what was completely wrong with Gardener's World last week and made me
tut at the gorgeous Mr Don was the fact that him and the other laddo
were doing all the interesting, manly stuff together in the greenhouse
and there's little old Rachel and all she gets to do is a pretty girly
hanging basket. Nothing wrong with hanging baskets per se, they're
great, but please - gardening isn't and shouldn't be gender specific!!
My partner and I are happiest when I'm digging over the vegetable
patch and he's twiddling with his clematis (but that's another story
and a very different newsgroup!). What happened to that woman who
grows the vegetables on GW? Bring her back, I say, she's fab. A
proper woman and a proper gardener. None of this nancy-pamby Nigella
of the soil nonsense.