Old 02-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Bob Tarte

Default The thing about our soil....

Yes well, here's the thing with our soil. I always thought I wanted
loose soil, but it just seems to act like a sieve when its watered.
Plus alot of things don't seem as rank and healthy as in other people's
gardens. So I would like to think of some way that someone (not me )
can go around and kind of bulk it up a bit, without taking forever and
a day, and spending enough to make me feel slightly ill.

Since my back is unhappy about my doing anything in the garden these
days, I will have to have a college students services. Therefore , the
more expedient and cheaper the better.

The other naughty thing about our soil, is that our property is in the
line of ancient glaciers, so there is a rock about every 3 or 4
inches, plus its very hard soil if you dig down. Plus all the trees on
our property shade everything I don't want shaded, and the tree roots
that are tiny and fibrous want to get into places they shouldn't.
(Sigh)

And then there's the sad fact that beautiful garden design is a mystery
to me. I do know what I like, however. Pictures in Cottage Gardens
books, that's the Dream Come True, of gardens in my way of seeing.

Any or all ideas will be happily absorbed and pondered.

Thank you for your help!

Linda