Old 02-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Bob Tarte

Default The thing about our soil....

Yes well, here's the thing with our soil. I always thought I wanted
loose soil, but it just seems to act like a sieve when its watered.
Plus alot of things don't seem as rank and healthy as in other people's
gardens. So I would like to think of some way that someone (not me )
can go around and kind of bulk it up a bit, without taking forever and
a day, and spending enough to make me feel slightly ill.

Since my back is unhappy about my doing anything in the garden these
days, I will have to have a college students services. Therefore , the
more expedient and cheaper the better.

The other naughty thing about our soil, is that our property is in the
line of ancient glaciers, so there is a rock about every 3 or 4
inches, plus its very hard soil if you dig down. Plus all the trees on
our property shade everything I don't want shaded, and the tree roots
that are tiny and fibrous want to get into places they shouldn't.
(Sigh)

And then there's the sad fact that beautiful garden design is a mystery
to me. I do know what I like, however. Pictures in Cottage Gardens
books, that's the Dream Come True, of gardens in my way of seeing.

Any or all ideas will be happily absorbed and pondered.

Thank you for your help!

Linda
Old 02-05-2003, 04:20 AM
animaux

Unfortunately you are stuck with what you have. I know I have broken record
syndrome, but if you would seek the advice of your local chapter of Native Plant
Society, you will find there are many, many plants which will fully appreciate
your soil as is, or with very little amendment. Compost is always good.

I moved from Long Island (sandy loam) to Texas (black prairie clay) and to be
honest, once I learned how to work clay I find it is a much better soil to grow
plants of all sorts. Clay is loaded with vital nutrients, but are locked tight
to the clay particulate. Humates change the soil structure and compost changes
the texture.

Working soil is important, and sand definitely can do with a bunch of nutrients
found in a well made, aerobic compost.

Take a gander at www.soilfoodweb.com

There is a lot of state of the art information about soil and how to remedy it.
Nothing is easy. Not if you want to be successful. Hiring a good worker can
help tremendously. Never work saturated or completely dry soils, regardless of
their structure.