Old 02-05-2003, 06:20 AM
B & J

Default Why my Pink Dogwood Tree is Dying?

"Marley1372" wrote in message
They
said to water only once a week if we didn't get an
inch of rain.

I would find a new nursery. An inch of rain is not enough per week for a

newly
planted dogwood. And it probably was planted in the direct sun it will

need
even more. Rain has usually little or no effect as far as when you should

be
watering you plants.

Toad

If I had my choice, I'd never plant any trees or shrubs in the spring (zone
6). Trees or shrubs planted in early to the middle of November do far better
than those planted in the spring. Unfortunately availability of many items
is limited to spring. Spring planted trees in my area take at least a year
to recuperate from our hot summers.

You're right about springs planted dogwood needing far more moisture than an
inch per week, but native dogwoods are far more forgiving than cultivars in
moisture requirement. I've moved numerous dogwood seedling from flower bed
into the wooded area surrounding my home with good success.

John