Old 02-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Rod

Default types of compost/manure

"H" wrote in message ...
I'm looking to get some 'mild' manure/compost to kick-start my no-dig veg
garden. I don't have much waste matter right now to add to the beds.

So, would mushroom compost be suitable for this use? Any other ideas?

Anything organic and cheap is OK. Spent mushroom compost consist of composted horse manure + the casing which is peat
and ground chalk so no good for anything that dislikes lime. Brassicas OK, Rhododendrons, spuds, not OK.
When I worked on a large rose nursery we used a lot of bulky organic material and our tractor drivers would go anywhere
anybody wanted the stuff clearing. That was pig farms, mushroom farms, kennels - yes kennels, local brewery for spent
hops, stables etc..................Quite an *interesting* muck hill we had - and the effluent
pond......................Well you wouldn't want to fall into it.
They were some of the best rose trees sold anywhere - it's rare I see anything as good today.

Rod