Old 02-05-2003, 09:44 AM

Default types of compost/manure

I'm looking to get some 'mild' manure/compost to kick-start my no-dig veg
garden. I don't have much waste matter right now to add to the beds.

So, would mushroom compost be suitable for this use? Any other ideas?

Best,

- h

Old 02-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Paul Kelly

"H" wrote in message
I'm looking to get some 'mild' manure/compost to kick-start my no-dig veg
garden. I don't have much waste matter right now to add to the beds.

So, would mushroom compost be suitable for this use? Any other ideas?

Mushroom compost is largely peat and I avoid it for that reason.

I find a good quality composted bark very effective - and it lasts longer
than peat plus it has better water retaining properties.

pk

Old 02-05-2003, 12:44 PM

Mushroom compost is largely peat and I avoid it for that reason.

I find a good quality composted bark very effective - and it lasts longer
than peat plus it has better water retaining properties.

pk

I used to work on a mushroom farm and as far as I know mushroom compost
is sterelised horse shit and straw. When we got it delevered it came in
700 plastic sacks (bin bag size) per shed to which we added 2-3 cm of a
peat/gravel mix on the top of each sack.

Old 02-05-2003, 12:44 PM

I used to work on a mushroom farm and as far as I know mushroom compost
is sterelised horse shit and straw. When we got it delevered it came in
700 plastic sacks (bin bag size) per shed to which we added 2-3 cm of a
peat/gravel mix on the top of each sack.

That's what I thought ... well-rotted, horse manure + a bit of this and
that.

- h

Old 02-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Paul Kelly

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Paul Kelly
writes

"H" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking to get some 'mild' manure/compost to kick-start my no-dig

veg
garden. I don't have much waste matter right now to add to the beds.

So, would mushroom compost be suitable for this use? Any other ideas?

Mushroom compost is largely peat and I avoid it for that reason.

because you feel peat is no as good or for conservation reasons? Does
the OP mean compost sold for growing mushrooms, or spent mushroom
compost? - if the latter, I doubt there'd be much conservation effect
whether you used it or not.

Both. On balance I'm agin commercial uses of peat plus it is a very poor
soil improver.

pk

Old 02-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Rod

"H" wrote in message ...
I'm looking to get some 'mild' manure/compost to kick-start my no-dig veg
garden. I don't have much waste matter right now to add to the beds.

So, would mushroom compost be suitable for this use? Any other ideas?

Anything organic and cheap is OK. Spent mushroom compost consist of composted horse manure + the casing which is peat
and ground chalk so no good for anything that dislikes lime. Brassicas OK, Rhododendrons, spuds, not OK.
When I worked on a large rose nursery we used a lot of bulky organic material and our tractor drivers would go anywhere
anybody wanted the stuff clearing. That was pig farms, mushroom farms, kennels - yes kennels, local brewery for spent
hops, stables etc..................Quite an *interesting* muck hill we had - and the effluent
pond......................Well you wouldn't want to fall into it.
They were some of the best rose trees sold anywhere - it's rare I see anything as good today.

Rod