Old 02-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Iris Cohen

Default mistletoe

I would like to try planting mistletoe. Can someone have any idea how to do
that?

Are you serious or trolling? Mistletoe is a parasite. It only grows in the
warmer parts of the country, like Texas & Louisiana. The preferred hosts are
oak trees, as far as I know. The seeds are sticky. They are spread in nature by
birds wiping them off their beaks. You could plant them deliberately by
sticking the seeds on the branch of a suitable host. However, be warned that
they may weaken & perhaps kill your tree. And your neighbors will be most
agitated when the mistletoe starts spreading to their trees.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)