Old 01-05-2003, 11:21 PM
mistletoe

Default mistletoe

Hello to all!
I would like to try planting mistletoe. Can someone have any idea how to do that?
Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Howard Clase

In article ,
mistletoe wrote:
Hello to all!
I would like to try planting mistletoe. Can someone have any idea how to do that?

I've never done it, but I believe you just squish the berries against the
bark of a suitable tree.

Howard Clase.

Old 02-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Iris Cohen

I would like to try planting mistletoe. Can someone have any idea how to do
that?

Are you serious or trolling? Mistletoe is a parasite. It only grows in the
warmer parts of the country, like Texas & Louisiana. The preferred hosts are
oak trees, as far as I know. The seeds are sticky. They are spread in nature by
birds wiping them off their beaks. You could plant them deliberately by
sticking the seeds on the branch of a suitable host. However, be warned that
they may weaken & perhaps kill your tree. And your neighbors will be most
agitated when the mistletoe starts spreading to their trees.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 02-05-2003, 10:10 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

mistletoe schreef
Hello to all!
I would like to try planting mistletoe. Can someone have any idea how to

do that?

+ + +
undefined parameter: mistletoe
[ no kidding: different mistletoes have different modes of distribution ]

unknown syntax: planting mistletoe
[ semantic error: mistletoe is distributed by germination of seeds, these
cannot be 'planted']

query: can someone have an idea?
answer: lots of people can have ideas, almost everybody can have at least
one idea
[ meaningless question with meaningless answer ]

query: ideas on how to do something that cannot be be done?
answer: overload. Redefine #$@!!! Overload. Reset. Beep.

PvR

Old 02-05-2003, 10:10 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
Mistletoe is a parasite.

+ + +
a hemiparasite
+ + +

It only grows in the warmer parts of the country, like Texas & Louisiana.

+ + +
N-European mistletoe is bound to chalky soils
+ + +

The preferred hosts are oak trees, as far as I know.

+ + +
N-European mistletoe is almost never found in oak trees.
Typical hosts are poplar and apples
+ + +

The seeds are sticky. They are spread in nature by birds wiping them off
their beaks.

+ + +
Also for N-European mistletoe, but not for New Zealand/Australian?
mistletoes
PvR

Old 03-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Howard Clase

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
I would like to try planting mistletoe. Can someone have any idea how to do
that?

Are you serious or trolling? Mistletoe is a parasite. It only grows in the
warmer parts of the country, like Texas & Louisiana. The preferred hosts are
oak trees, as far as I know. The seeds are sticky. They are spread in nature by
birds wiping them off their beaks. You could plant them deliberately by
sticking the seeds on the branch of a suitable host. However, be warned that
they may weaken & perhaps kill your tree. And your neighbors will be most
agitated when the mistletoe starts spreading to their trees.
Iris,

This is rather a narrow view Iris: - here's an extract from the Annotated
Checklist of the Vacular Plants of Newfoundland & Labrador:-

Santalaceae Sandalwood Family (including Viscaceae)
[N] Arceuthobium pusillum Peck
dwarf mistletoe; Fr: petit gui, faux-gui nain. nTemp. eNA; N to
s/cNfld.
[=Razoumofskya pusilla (Peck) Kuntze]
[Classified as rare in Nfld., Arceuthobium pusillum is
parasitic on Picea mariana (Bouchard et al., 1991); it is responsible for
the formation of witches' brooms in wNfld.]

Picea mariana is the Black Spruce, the Dwarf Mistletoe is Newfoundland's
smallest shrub!

The Mistle Thrush of Europe is named because of its fondness for the
berries and is also involved in "planting" the local species.

Whether the neighbours approve or not will depend upon whether they
participate in various pagan fertility rites that are still remembered in
mid winter in some parts of the world.

All that I have seen have green leaves, and cannot be fully parasitic.

Howard Clase

Old 04-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Iris Cohen

I was writing mainly about American mistletoe.

a hemiparasite

What makes it a hemiparasite? The fact that it does have green leaves? I
understandi it will still weaken a tree if there are too many of them.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:44 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
I was writing mainly about American mistletoe.

+ + +
Likely the original poster was too, but perhaps not. Who knows?
+ + +

a hemiparasite

What makes it a hemiparasite? The fact that it does have green leaves? I
understand it will still weaken a tree if there are too many of them.
Iris,

+ + +
Sure it will weaken a tree.
But actually epiphytes can kill a tree too, if there are too many of them.
Epiphytes dont parasitize at all.
PvR

Old 04-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

You are being outrageous again, Rinkytink. The only thing weakening here is
your claims.

Epiphytes don't weaken or kill a tree. They only use the tree branches for
support and they do not obscure the tree foliage. There would need to an
enormous mass of epiphytes to bring down a tree and that rarely if ever
occurs.

May you lose you personal battle with a strangler fig. (a liana not an
epiphyte)

P van Rijckevorsel wrote in message
.. .
Iris Cohen schreef

Old 04-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

There have been plants of Euphorbia horrida sold in the trade infected with
mistletoe to produce red berries on the plants.

Old 04-05-2003, 06:44 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereoid-XXXXX schreef
You are being outrageous again, Rinkytink. The only thing weakening here

is
your claims.

+ + +
There is a well-known saying "truth is stranger than fiction". If there is
one field where it is obvious that this is spot on (except possibly to the
most obtuse) then it is botany.
+ + +

Epiphytes don't weaken or kill a tree. They only use the tree branches for
support and they do not obscure the tree foliage. There would need to an
enormous mass of epiphytes to bring down a tree and that rarely if ever
occurs.

+ + +
Even in the USA trees are downed by Tillandsia usneoides. If there is enough
of the stuff on a tree and it rains heavily the enormous weight will bring
the tree down.

As I understand it, a canopy tree in atropical rainforest will bear a weight
of epiphytes equal to the weight of its own crown. Trees collapsing under
this joint weight are a regular occurrence.
PvR

Old 05-05-2003, 06:32 PM
whiteMemphis

"mistletoe" wrote in message
om...
Hello to all!
I would like to try planting mistletoe. Can someone have any idea how to

do that?

The mistletoe we have in Oz is a parasite usually found in eucalyptes,
it is spread by the mistletoe bird which is totally sustained by it, using
it for food, nesting, shelter & roosting, it defecates the seeds in sticky
clumps on branches. So the bird is happy, the mistletoe is happy, and I'm
intrigued, one of my ongoing projects is trying to get feedback from the gum
trees about what's in it for them, but so far they're not giving it up, sure
to be something tho', that's how nature works, (until Homo sapiens (!) comes
blundering in).

Where can I buy mistletoe? Timur Tabi Texas 4 20-12-2004 03:18 AM
How to kill Mistletoe in oak trees? [email protected] Gardening 3 05-09-2003 02:02 AM
How to kill Mistletoe in Maple trees? Phisherman Gardening 5 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Mistletoe Sean Houtman Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
Mistletoe for swap Carol Russell United Kingdom 0 01-01-2003 09:40 PM