Old 03-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Gene Schurg

Default 2 questions

Crystal,

I saw a great Dimorphorchis at the local show last October. The flower
spike hung down over 7 feet! I want one of these plants so badly
(MICK....got them in flask?)

The Smithsonian Museum was the grower and they had it in a big wooden Vanda
basket. I don't remember what they had around the roots for medium. You
might want to try a wooden basket and let the roots hang out the side slots.

I'm so jealous!

Good growing,
Gene

"femalestrom" wrote in message
. net...

Does anyone know what happens to pollen when it gets wet?
I had harvested half my Eulophia's flowers, and when I went
to put the pollinia in the container I obviously didn't wait for
it to dry long enough, and there was still a slight amount of
water from the sterilization process. I am guessing I am just
going to have to toss it.. but the pollinia have stayed dry since.
Is there any hope for it being viable?

Also -

I picked up a bare root dimorphorchis rossi, and was
wondering what people's opinions on mounting this plant
would be. The only reason I ask is because the root
structure is helter skelter, and I would have to go to a
crazy large pot to accommodate it. I have a lowii that
has been quite containable in a pot, although I think it
might be another 40 years before I see any flowers. Easily
the slowest growing plant I have.

Thank you!

Crystal
--