Old 02-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Mick Fournier

Default 2 questions

Crystal,

Wet pollen. Bad.

Dry pollen. Good.

Ugh.

Mick Fournier
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

Old 03-05-2003, 01:44 AM
femalestrom

Um.. I'm sorry.. but that is pretty obvious. The pollen was
only wet for less than maybe 10 minutes.. less than your
average light rain shower. So are you saying it is no longer
viable since it has gotten wet? I mean, it gets wet in nature.
Right? I would rather not toss it unless I really have to.

Thank you for your time.

Crystal

--
http://home.attbi.com/~xtals/orchid.htm
.. .

Old 03-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Mick Fournier

Crystal,

Pollen does not get wet in nature.

If it is darkly discolored and mushy then it is destroyed... if not, wrap it
in glossy high quality magazine paper and put it in the refrigerator.

Mick

Old 03-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Gene Schurg

Crystal,

I saw a great Dimorphorchis at the local show last October. The flower
spike hung down over 7 feet! I want one of these plants so badly
(MICK....got them in flask?)

The Smithsonian Museum was the grower and they had it in a big wooden Vanda
basket. I don't remember what they had around the roots for medium. You
might want to try a wooden basket and let the roots hang out the side slots.

I'm so jealous!

Good growing,
Gene

"femalestrom" wrote in message
. net...

Does anyone know what happens to pollen when it gets wet?
I had harvested half my Eulophia's flowers, and when I went
to put the pollinia in the container I obviously didn't wait for
it to dry long enough, and there was still a slight amount of
water from the sterilization process. I am guessing I am just
going to have to toss it.. but the pollinia have stayed dry since.
Is there any hope for it being viable?

Also -

I picked up a bare root dimorphorchis rossi, and was
wondering what people's opinions on mounting this plant
would be. The only reason I ask is because the root
structure is helter skelter, and I would have to go to a
crazy large pot to accommodate it. I have a lowii that
has been quite containable in a pot, although I think it
might be another 40 years before I see any flowers. Easily
the slowest growing plant I have.

Thank you!

Crystal
--
http://home.attbi.com/~xtals/orchid.htm

Old 03-05-2003, 06:44 PM
femalestrom

Gene, you can find them from time to time. Occasionally
dowery orchids has rosii. But I don't think they have them
now. I forget now where I got lowii. I think most would
tell you to find an established plant. I do not know how
fast the rosii grows as I got it recently, but I have had the
lowii for two years and it has probably put on two sets of
leaves. Considering they are suppose to be HUGE plants
I think I have 50% more of my life before it rewards me
with blooms.

Crystal

--
http://home.attbi.com/~xtals/orchid.htm