Old 03-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Romneya Coulteri germination :-)))

The message
from "Barry & Iris McCanna" contains these words:

What great joy this morning to find five Romneya Coulteri seedlings
have germinated! They were sown on 30th March and germinated
yesterday/today as I check all the pots daily. Having read Janet's
message I was pretty sure my efforts would fail as, although I had
burned the pine needles and had a good smoke, they were not chilled at
all, just left in the greenhouse. So certain of a miserable
failure, more seeds were ordered from Chiltern and they also chose
today to arrive!

The nursery a friend and I were going to buy plants from wanted the
French equivalent of £9.00 per plant so we are so delighted at this
result. Just got to bring them on successfully now AND sow the
second packet.

Iris (McCanna)

Congratulation! I know how exciting it feels - and then the awful
responsibility of not losing then now they've germinated!

I'm still wondering how soon to prick mine out. My four have germinated
in two pairs and I thought I'd try to take one from each pair, favouring
one at the expense of the other - if that's at all clear. I haven't
touched them yet though.

Janet G