Old 30-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Romneya coulteri germination update

Following the correspondence a few weeks ago about Romneya germination,
I acquired some seed from Chiltern Seeds and followed Sasha/Ray's
advice, which was to burn pine needles on top of the pot, then chill,
and then keep warm.

I wasn't hopeful as I essentially made a hash of it. I sowed the deed,
knowing I had a small pine tree. I went to my pine tree, pulled a few
needles off and then realised that no way would they burn as they were
entirely green. I decided that a few days in the grenhouse would dry
them up so I spread them over the pot of seed and left them. Several
weeks went by. I worried that having the seed sitting there in damp
compost was not the idea. At regular intervals I attempted to set fire
to them, always with dismal results. Eventually after many attempts they
were dry enough to burn and I enjoyed the minor conflagration.

I followed Sasha's advice, with all hope long since dead, and put them
in the fridge for two weeks. I then stood them on the central heating
boiler. A few days ago, I was stunned to see four small seedlings on the
pot. I have transferred them to the greenhouse, realising there is a
fair way to go yet but delighted to have got this far (Thank-you Sasha
and Ray).

I'm now wondering how soon to prick out the tiny seedlings. I thnk the
poppy family doesn't like root disturbance, so I could yet lose them.

Any advice on this?

Janet G
Old 03-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Janet,

My experience is almost identical, although I didn't sow them until
the beginning of April. The pine needles did burn a bit, but not
enough. I tried it several times having left them in the greenhouse
to dry off. Finally I did have a good smoke :-) You are ahead of
me as I have yet to see any germination, but I live in hope. I've
also ordered some more seeds from Chiltern in case it doesn't work
first-time!

Congratulations!

Regards
Iris (McCanna)

Old 03-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Romneya Coulteri germination :-)))

What great joy this morning to find five Romneya Coulteri seedlings
have germinated! They were sown on 30th March and germinated
yesterday/today as I check all the pots daily. Having read Janet's
message I was pretty sure my efforts would fail as, although I had
burned the pine needles and had a good smoke, they were not chilled at
all, just left in the greenhouse. So certain of a miserable
failure, more seeds were ordered from Chiltern and they also chose
today to arrive!

The nursery a friend and I were going to buy plants from wanted the
French equivalent of £9.00 per plant so we are so delighted at this
result. Just got to bring them on successfully now AND sow the
second packet.

Iris (McCanna)

--
(All outgoing messages certified virus free)

Old 03-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Barry & Iris McCanna" contains these words:

What great joy this morning to find five Romneya Coulteri seedlings
have germinated! They were sown on 30th March and germinated
yesterday/today as I check all the pots daily. Having read Janet's
message I was pretty sure my efforts would fail as, although I had
burned the pine needles and had a good smoke, they were not chilled at
all, just left in the greenhouse. So certain of a miserable
failure, more seeds were ordered from Chiltern and they also chose
today to arrive!

The nursery a friend and I were going to buy plants from wanted the
French equivalent of £9.00 per plant so we are so delighted at this
result. Just got to bring them on successfully now AND sow the
second packet.

Iris (McCanna)

Congratulation! I know how exciting it feels - and then the awful
responsibility of not losing then now they've germinated!

I'm still wondering how soon to prick mine out. My four have germinated
in two pairs and I thought I'd try to take one from each pair, favouring
one at the expense of the other - if that's at all clear. I haven't
touched them yet though.

Janet G