Old 03-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Removing Oak Taproots was [IBC] Starting Seeds

At 12:54 AM 5/3/03 -0400, lou E wrote:
whats the plan for a well established oak in a 15 gal container that was
trunk chopped in january and is comming out strong? tell me there is
hope. Also thanks for the info, i have a few oaks in flats that need
the snip.

Lou

The plan should be to keep it alive. It is amazing how many people put
styling and action ahead of survival when it is utterly pointless if the
plant dies.

Keep it in morning sun and afternoon shade for now, since I believe you are
in S. CA where it is probably already hot and the sunlight intense. I
wouldn't give it full sun this season. New growth resulting dormant buds is
often very soft and will fry during the first intense heat wave.

Otherwise just let it grow to recover. Root prune and repot next winter. If
it has excessive shoot growth by then you can prune some wanted growth, but
be sure to leave plenty of terminal buds. These are needed for a quick root
recovery.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++