Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Pat Brothers

Default non-blooming hydrangea

Diane wrote:

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

In article , Belinda
Zayas wrote:

I've got 3 lush (green) hydrangeas that have not bloomed for 5 years. I
moved them 2 years ago, thinking I'd find a better spot for them to be
happy---more sun, but not too much. Still lush green, no blooms. They are
located in good soil, dappled sun/shade. I'm not even to the point of
complaining they are not blue---I just want blooms!

Any ideas?

--
Belinda

Doesn't phosphate encourage blooms?
/\/\/¨

Are you pruning them? Some bloom on "old" wood not new shoots. So if you
prune at the wrong time, you can inadvertently prune the branches which
would bloom. Depends on the variety. Do you know what kind of hydrangea
you have?

Did all the new growth come from the ground or did you

have foliage come out on last year's branches? As Diane says, many
hydrangeas bloom on year old wood. The two winters before this one had
late frosts that killed most of the year old growth on my hydrangeas,
leaving only new growth and few blooms.
Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest