Old 04-05-2003, 01:56 AM
paghat

Default Lavender

In article ,
(MOLLOYRO) wrote:

A two year old lavender which retained its leaves etc.,
over the winter is looking very tired, but there is new
growth starting at the bottom... should I prune it
back to where the new growth is, or leave it alone?
Thanks, Rosie

Whether this is the best advice or not will depend on if you do it & the
outcome is great. But I vote prune it.
Often sages & lavenders will prove to be evergreen through mild winters,
but seem almost always to need
to be pruned late winter or early spring tot make room for new growth, or
the stuff that looked so nice right
up to March or April FINALLY begins to go to ruination -- so should've
been taken off before that happened
so that the plant wastes no energy on the lost cause of last year's leaves.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/