Old 04-05-2003, 12:56 AM
MOLLOYRO

Default Lavender

A two year old lavender which retained its leaves etc.,
over the winter is looking very tired, but there is new
growth starting at the bottom... should I prune it
back to where the new growth is, or leave it alone?
Thanks, Rosie
Old 04-05-2003, 04:32 AM
montana

In article ,
Dave Fouchey wrote:

That has been my experience too Paghat, in fact one of the last things
I do before winter is mow down my lavenders, they then explode out of
the ground in Spring, as mine are doing now. the Bronze Fennel on the
other hand always comes from new growth so I leave it up for winter
interest and cut it down in the spring.

Mow 'em down? I've never heard of such a thing! (I should try this...)
When they grow back, how big do they get?

We just planted Lavender down the walkway to our front door. We hope
they'll grow into nice, fat plants. I had several varieties at my old
home and one type of English Lavender (don't remember the variety) just
stayed beautiful, left untouched. It looked great in the winter, too.
The rest needed help, but I never knew you were supposed to prune them!
Old 04-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sat, 03 May 2003 23:25:27 -0400, montana
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Fouchey wrote:

That has been my experience too Paghat, in fact one of the last things
I do before winter is mow down my lavenders, they then explode out of
the ground in Spring, as mine are doing now. the Bronze Fennel on the
other hand always comes from new growth so I leave it up for winter
interest and cut it down in the spring.

Mow 'em down? I've never heard of such a thing! (I should try this...)
When they grow back, how big do they get?

We just planted Lavender down the walkway to our front door. We hope
they'll grow into nice, fat plants. I had several varieties at my old
home and one type of English Lavender (don't remember the variety) just
stayed beautiful, left untouched. It looked great in the winter, too.
The rest needed help, but I never knew you were supposed to prune them!

They come back quite nicely 2 foot tall or better, depending on
variety. When I said mow them down I cut them back to around 3" high,
I don;t scalp them..

Dave.
Dave Fouchey,
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern
Old 04-05-2003, 06:08 PM
montana

In article ,
Dave Fouchey wrote:

When I said mow them down I cut them back to around 3" high

If they survive the winter, I'll "mow" 'em down. I need to better
educate myself!

[IMG] code is On

Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
Munstead Lavender seeds LeAnn Gardening 2 30-03-2003 04:56 PM
Siberian Lavender vericaulk Gardening 2 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Good Lavender Miniature Roses Rose rescue Radika Kesavan Roses 7 24-03-2003 09:08 PM
Pruning lavender (zone 24/8) Polar Gardening 6 04-02-2003 02:53 AM