Old 04-05-2003, 07:44 AM
gregpresley

Default Bellflowers?

I'm guessing that you're talking about peach leaf bellflowers, which grow
about 2 feet tall. Once they are in your garden and blooming they will be
there forever, because, although individual plants will die out after a few
years, they self-sow prolifically. They do not bloom the first year from
seed, but after that they will bloom reliably in June and July. They are not
prone to diseases or pests - at least in my garden.
"montana" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jill Claus" wrote:

I purchased some Bellflower seeds. The package says they will grow a

foot
high and bloom all summer. However, the package says they bloom the 2nd
year. Does this mean they bloom every other year? Or that they won't

bloom
the first year they are planted. Does this mean the plant should not be

cut
off in the fall? I've only been gardening for 3 years, so any help

would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jill

I don't know what variety of bellflower; I've never had one that bloomed
all summer. Whether that's because I didn't deadhead the flowers, I
don't know. That being said, the bellflowers I planted from seed did not
bloom the first year, but they did bloom every year after that (until
the dogs killed them...). There are varieties that stay small, as you
are describing and there are taller types. They are pretty hardy if they
get enough sun & are watered regularly. These are some of my favorite
flowers. I think they're just lovely.