Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Jill Claus

Default Bellflowers?

I purchased some Bellflower seeds. The package says they will grow a foot
high and bloom all summer. However, the package says they bloom the 2nd
year. Does this mean they bloom every other year? Or that they won't bloom
the first year they are planted. Does this mean the plant should not be cut
off in the fall? I've only been gardening for 3 years, so any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jill

Old 04-05-2003, 02:08 AM
paghat

In article , "Jill Claus"
jillclaus@cogeco,ca wrote:

I purchased some Bellflower seeds. The package says they will grow a foot
high and bloom all summer. However, the package says they bloom the 2nd
year. Does this mean they bloom every other year? Or that they won't bloom
the first year they are planted. Does this mean the plant should not be cut
off in the fall? I've only been gardening for 3 years, so any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jill

When grown from seed, probably won't be mature enough to bloom until their
second year. If you want them right away you could add a couple small
bedding starts already partially grown, usually only cost about $3 from a
nursery, & they'll bloom this year. As for pruning, it somewhat depends on
what species of bellflower, & the zone you're in. Some bellflowers are
semi-evergreen in mild winters; many rebloom right up to October. I
experimented with canturbery bells in that I left two unpruned & they
bloomed even in winter (in December if I recall), though too feebly to be
more than mild curiosities to be blooming out of season. The ones I cut
right down to the basal leaves came back early spring as thick bushy
leaves, while the ones I encouraged to prove some small degree of
evergreen capacity are still in April way behind, growing at about
one-third the pace as the ones that were pruned in late autumn. They
wasted too much energy blooming poorly out of season, so it really wasn't
a good idea.

Some things that are semi-evergreen keep part of their growth as a kind
of self-mulching program to keep from freezing in winter, & those should
be pruned back late winter or early spring just before new growth begins.
The canterbury bells are among these, but they don't need anything left
but the lowest basal leaves. On the basis of one little experiment on
bellflowers, I'm of a mind to prune them tot the basal leaves in late
autumn in the future & not try to stretch them deep into winter. But the
Korean bellflowers & a couple similar groundcovery bellflowers die
completely to the ground in late autumn without being pruned.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 04-05-2003, 07:44 AM
gregpresley

I'm guessing that you're talking about peach leaf bellflowers, which grow
about 2 feet tall. Once they are in your garden and blooming they will be
there forever, because, although individual plants will die out after a few
years, they self-sow prolifically. They do not bloom the first year from
seed, but after that they will bloom reliably in June and July. They are not
prone to diseases or pests - at least in my garden.
"montana" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jill Claus" wrote:

I purchased some Bellflower seeds. The package says they will grow a

foot
high and bloom all summer. However, the package says they bloom the 2nd
year. Does this mean they bloom every other year? Or that they won't

bloom
the first year they are planted. Does this mean the plant should not be

cut
off in the fall? I've only been gardening for 3 years, so any help

would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jill

I don't know what variety of bellflower; I've never had one that bloomed
all summer. Whether that's because I didn't deadhead the flowers, I
don't know. That being said, the bellflowers I planted from seed did not
bloom the first year, but they did bloom every year after that (until
the dogs killed them...). There are varieties that stay small, as you
are describing and there are taller types. They are pretty hardy if they
get enough sun & are watered regularly. These are some of my favorite
flowers. I think they're just lovely.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Jill Claus

Thank you for that link!

"Sed5555" wrote in message
I purchased some Bellflower seeds. The package says they will grow a

foot
high and bloom all summer. However, the package says they bloom the 2nd
year. Does this mean they bloom every other year? Or that they won't

bloom
the first year they are planted. Does this mean the plant should not be

cut
off in the fall? I've only been gardening for 3 years, so any help would

be
greatly appreciated.

I grow several different bellflowers. None bloomed the first year, just

formed
a rosette of foliage. With the exception of Canterbury Bells, they have

bloomed
each year since. The Canterbury Bells are biennials, but readily reseed
themselves. With deadheading, they all bloom into fall. I cut them back

after
the first frost. Here is a little information on bellflowers:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/bellflow.htm
sed5555