Old 04-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Andrew G

Default Black Spot on roses

"Luke" wrote in message
Hi,

I was pruning my roses today and noticed one bush had some black spot on
it's leaves, i removed the leaves and found there was also black spots
running down the cane. Is this black spot as well as i was under the
impression black spot only appeared on the leaves.

Hi Luke,
Heading into Winter it's best not to prune them, unless you are removing old
flower heads. Otherwise any new shoots that may form in the next few weeks
will die off due to frost.
Leave them and give them a hard pruning in July-August. August probably
being better.
I've known it only to be on the leaves, but have seen the same on the cane,
I can only assume it's black spot. We have it on the canes and leaves on the
ground cover ones at work, but only on the Leaves of the standards, not on
the cane.
The leaves will be dropping anyway.

If it is on the cane
should i prune the rose back or apply a black spot remover? What do people
recommend to get rid of blackspot?

You need a fungicide.
Triforene is one. Dry Bordeux(sp?) is a fungicide powder that you mix with
water which I have found to be excellent.
Not sure if the Bordeux is organic, have a feeling it is.
I have heard of using Full Cream Milk mixed with water. I don't know the
rate though, or if it works.
You would possibly find others at the Nursery/Kmart etc.
Whatever you use make sure you give it a good coating. Try pick up any
leaves that may be on the ground, and ones that you don't or can't get give
a quick spray too.
Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Thanks
Luke

---