Old 04-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Luke

Default Black Spot on roses

Hi,

I was pruning my roses today and noticed one bush had some black spot on
it's leaves, i removed the leaves and found there was also black spots
running down the cane. Is this black spot as well as i was under the
impression black spot only appeared on the leaves. If it is on the cane
should i prune the rose back or apply a black spot remover? What do people
recommend to get rid of blackspot?

Thanks
Luke

---

Old 04-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Jane VR

Luke wrote:
Hi,

I was pruning my roses today and noticed one bush had some black spot on
it's leaves, i removed the leaves and found there was also black spots
running down the cane. Is this black spot as well as i was under the
impression black spot only appeared on the leaves. If it is on the cane
should i prune the rose back or apply a black spot remover? What do people
recommend to get rid of blackspot?

My books say that susceptible varieties of rose can get it on the the
young stems, too, but I haven't seen it myself. Could it be scale?

The roses should be losing their leaves now anyway, so make sure the
diseased leaves don't get left lying around on the ground. Do you get
frosts where you are? If so, I wouldn't prune them just yet, but when
you prune in July, prune off the black spot then. Again, don't leave the
prunings lying around. Give your roses maximum sunlight and good air
circulation, to help prevent it. I don't know of any organic sprays,
only triforine. If your roses seem particularly susceptible, then maybe
try some different varieties.

Jane

Old 04-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Andrew G

"Luke" wrote in message
Hi,

I was pruning my roses today and noticed one bush had some black spot on
it's leaves, i removed the leaves and found there was also black spots
running down the cane. Is this black spot as well as i was under the
impression black spot only appeared on the leaves.

Hi Luke,
Heading into Winter it's best not to prune them, unless you are removing old
flower heads. Otherwise any new shoots that may form in the next few weeks
will die off due to frost.
Leave them and give them a hard pruning in July-August. August probably
being better.
I've known it only to be on the leaves, but have seen the same on the cane,
I can only assume it's black spot. We have it on the canes and leaves on the
ground cover ones at work, but only on the Leaves of the standards, not on
the cane.
The leaves will be dropping anyway.

If it is on the cane
should i prune the rose back or apply a black spot remover? What do people
recommend to get rid of blackspot?

You need a fungicide.
Triforene is one. Dry Bordeux(sp?) is a fungicide powder that you mix with
water which I have found to be excellent.
Not sure if the Bordeux is organic, have a feeling it is.
I have heard of using Full Cream Milk mixed with water. I don't know the
rate though, or if it works.
You would possibly find others at the Nursery/Kmart etc.
Whatever you use make sure you give it a good coating. Try pick up any
leaves that may be on the ground, and ones that you don't or can't get give
a quick spray too.
Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Thanks
Luke

---

Old 04-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Jerome Morrow

I have heard that using sodium bicarb - that trusty old bakin soda - or a
milk + water solution seem to work in rose problems. I'm trying it now so I
can't vouch for its effectiveness.

Apart from using the usual Yates anti-black spot fixes, you might also
consider using lime sulphate in Winter time - spray the mix *underneath* the
plant - that is - on the ground! It helps to kill all the nasty bacteria and
diseases that accumulated around the year. Suppose to be good in getting rid
of rust.

Old 04-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Jane VR

Jerome Morrow wrote:
I have heard that using sodium bicarb - that trusty old bakin soda - or a
milk + water solution seem to work in rose problems. I'm trying it now so I
can't vouch for its effectiveness.

I have used bicarb solution for powdery mildew with some success. I'd be
interested to know if it works for black spot too.

Jane