Old 04-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Timothy

Default Need a new mower - advice please

On Sun, 04 May 2003 12:23:32 +0000, Mike Urig wrote:

Hello to everyone.

I will be buying a new mower today at will be getting it at HomeDepot,
don't ask

So my choices are either one of the Hondas or one of the Toros. I don't
think price will be a factor but I really don't want to spend an arn and
a leg.

So Toro is $299 for the lowest model and I really haven't decided if I
want a Honda although my wife is buying it for my birthday.

What in your opinion would be the better mower? I want a mulcher/rear
bagger/self propelled

I currently have an old (15 yr) Craftsman Eager-1 that needs a lot of
work, throttle handle cable bad/rusty as hell/need a nail to hold open
the thottle but the damn thing starts after a couple of pulls in the
beginning of the season and works good all season after that. It's just
old and you get lots of rust all over your hands. I once added 20-50w
synthetic oil to it cause that's all I had in the garage.

But anyway is Toro a decent mower company or should I buy one of the
Hondas?

Yard is a little over 5000sf and has a slight incline to it towards the
house.

The home depo toro is a fair mower. Very bottom end commercial front drive
mower. The hondas that HD carry are rather good mowers also. The hondas
use less gas than the toro and the honda motors are great but you'll find
the HD hondas will be built with less quailty though. The plus side of HD
honda over the HD toro is that the honda is rear wheel drive. The handles,
wheels ect are cheeper that the dealer sold hondas. In my opinion, buy the
toro to save a bit of cash or buy the spendy honda and forget about it.
The toro will last as long as your of craftsman, the honda may last a bit
longer. Either way, I'd say that there both good mowers for a home owner
This is only my opinion though, take it as you may.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com