Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Mike Urig

Default Need a new mower - advice please

Hello to everyone.

I will be buying a new mower today at will be getting it at HomeDepot,
don't ask

So my choices are either one of the Hondas or one of the Toros.
I don't think price will be a factor but I really don't want to spend
an arn and a leg.

So Toro is $299 for the lowest model and I really haven't decided if I
want a Honda although my wife is buying it for my birthday.

What in your opinion would be the better mower?
I want a mulcher/rear bagger/self propelled

I currently have an old (15 yr) Craftsman Eager-1 that needs a lot of
work, throttle handle cable bad/rusty as hell/need a nail to hold open
the thottle but the damn thing starts after a couple of pulls in the
beginning of the season and works good all season after that. It's
just old and you get lots of rust all over your hands. I once added
20-50w synthetic oil to it cause that's all I had in the garage.

But anyway is Toro a decent mower company or should I buy one of the
Hondas?

Yard is a little over 5000sf and has a slight incline to it towards
the house.

Thanks
Mike

Old 04-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Iowa883

Here is one that I found on sale yesterday, it is a Lawn Boy which is the
best buy for the $ hands down.
I got it at the local JY department store at a really good price. If you
need one I can find you one. I got mine for a really good price as it was
the floor model.
Have a look here
http://showcase.netins.net/web/ourju...nboy%20far.jpg

Thanks,
Iowa883

Old 04-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike Urig

On Sun, 4 May 2003 08:05:20 -0500, "Iowa883"
wrote:

Here is one that I found on sale yesterday, it is a Lawn Boy which is the
best buy for the $ hands down.
I got it at the local JY department store at a really good price. If you
need one I can find you one. I got mine for a really good price as it was
the floor model.
Have a look here
http://showcase.netins.net/web/ourju...nboy%20far.jpg

Thanks,
Iowa883

I saw that junk, thanks for waisting my time.

m...

Old 04-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Iowa883

Tell you what, I can tell you are a Newbie around here. If you can't take
that and get all pi$$y . Wait for the other comments you get today from the
others. HEHEHE :-)
Have a good one,
Iowa883

Old 04-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 04 May 2003 12:23:32 +0000, Mike Urig wrote:

[...]

The home depo toro is a fair mower. Very bottom end commercial front drive
mower. The hondas that HD carry are rather good mowers also. The hondas
use less gas than the toro and the honda motors are great but you'll find
the HD hondas will be built with less quailty though. The plus side of HD
honda over the HD toro is that the honda is rear wheel drive. The handles,
wheels ect are cheeper that the dealer sold hondas. In my opinion, buy the
toro to save a bit of cash or buy the spendy honda and forget about it.
The toro will last as long as your of craftsman, the honda may last a bit
longer. Either way, I'd say that there both good mowers for a home owner
This is only my opinion though, take it as you may.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 04-05-2003, 11:08 PM
mike

On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:25:02 +0000, Timothy wrote:

t the hond

Well I bought the Toro with rear wheel drive, 22 inch, mulch/rear bagger/side
discharge capability/personal pace. Works well, I'm satisfied for $349.
Mike

Old 05-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:09:47 -0400, mike wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:25:02 +0000, Timothy wrote:

t the hond

Well I bought the Toro with rear wheel drive, 22 inch, mulch/rear
bagger/side discharge capability/personal pace. Works well, I'm satisfied
for $349. Mike

Good deal then. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 21-06-2003, 07:32 PM
TJ

Well i bought the Low end Honda and my buddy bought the Rear Drive Toro from
Home Depot on the same day!

I love my Honda, quiet, runs smooth and it is very light. Starts on the
first pull every time. My only complaint is that I didnt spend the $50 more
and got the 3 speed. The Honda has the Quad cut blade (4 cutting edges) and
seems to do a good job at mulching but the bagging is where it shines.

My friends Toro is a great mower too. The thing I love about his is that it
HAULS ASS! I mean you can literally run with the thing. Whatever you do dont
get front wheel drive mower! All your wieghts in the back when bagging!

I hope your limber becasue you will be kicking yourself in the ass fro not
buying a new mower sooner after using that piece of shit u have now.

Either way you will be happy.
"Victor Grund" wrote in message
news
It's too late for the original poster, but it's worth pointing out that
authorized Toro dealers carry a higher-quality line of Toros (Super
Recyclers) than the big box stores like Home Depot. The mower decks are
cast aluminum rather than steel, for example. Honda may do the same
thing.

Victor

news

Old 22-06-2003, 02:32 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

I bought a rider mower almost 2 years ago. Granted I only have an area
thats about 70 by 100 to mow, but I tell you what, it's no longer a chore,
now its more fun than anything else. This thing books and is only 13.5hp,
but I take it on the street (kind of like waterboy), I live in a very rural
area, and the kids in the neighborhood get a kick out of seeing me book down
the street for not other purpose than having fun.

Dont comprimise with a push mower, have some fun I say, and get a rider.

:
: "Timothy" wrote in message
: news : On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:09:47 -0400, mike wrote:
:
: On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:25:02 +0000, Timothy wrote:
:
: t the hond
: Well I bought the Toro with rear wheel drive, 22 inch, mulch/rear
: bagger/side discharge capability/personal pace. Works well, I'm
: satisfied
: for $349. Mike
:
: Good deal then. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
: --