Old 04-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Paul Reynolds

Default Newbie still discovering things about my new (old) roses

Hello Torgo,

"torgo" wrote in message
Hi, Paul ! I'm a novice rose grower too (my third season) not too
far from you (off of I-20 just east of Atlanta).

Small world isn't it. :-)

Propagating from branches has been our family's favorite "plant trick"
for generations. If a shrub (rose, azalea, whatever) has a fairly
low, horizontal branch, consider that an open invitation to make a new
plant.
The trick is to fill a pot with dirt and put it under the branch - on
a small table, plant stand, cinder blocks, or whatever is available
and necessary to bring the pot to roughly the same level as the
branch. Just stick the branch in the pot, maybe throw a little extra
dirt on it, and put a rock on top to weight it down and keep it in the
dirt.
The new plant continues to get nutrients from the parent plant, so
your success rate will be very, very high (beats the heck out of
trying to grow roses from cuttings) and you can leave it attached
until you're sure you have a thriving, healthy plant on your hands.
Then, when you're ready to separate it, you don't even have to dig it
up and risk hurting its roots - you've already potted it. Just
prune the branch that joins them and take your new shrub wherever you
like.

I'll remember that, sounds like the easy/best way to me.

Welcome to the group!

Thank you.

-torgo

Paul n Bev