Old 04-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Paul Reynolds

Default Newbie still discovering things about my new (old) roses

"Cass" wrote in message
Paul Reynolds wrote:

So far the best I can determine by photo comparison is they are "Nearly
Wild" roses like the link in Shiva's reply.
The old owners wife doesn't remember exactly when she planted these or

what
they are because it was more than 35 years ago.
I cleaned up around and underneath a little and discovered that new

small
plants are growing from long branches (5 - 7 feet from bushes) that were
laying on the ground semi covered in the dead leaf and weed detritus.

These
long branches have rooted in spots and where the roots are there are one

or
two new branches reaching up. Also it appears that long roots are

sending up
new branches also.
One bush has sent both long branches and roots under a nearby short,

open
foliaged tree and is sending up several branches in the light shade of

this
stubby tree.

To me it is amazing the potential this plant has for propagation. Nature

has
provided this plant with the ability to seed, send out roots that will
create new plants, and have branches that in contact with soil, will

root
and form new plants. That's like my dad used to say "a belt is good but

belt and suspenders are even better". HA

I've only seen Nearly Wild in a pot, but I had no idea it got as big as
the photo you posted. Are several plants together in a row? HelpMeFind
lists Nearly Wild as 2 x 2. Do you mind posting the link to the image
again? Where are you located?

Hello Cass,
The bush in the picture is about 4 -5 feet from one end to the other and
about 3-1/2 feet tall. There are 6 -7 thick woody stems in a close group.
There are a dozen or so very long (6 - 7 feet) branches that are on the
ground and making new plants away from the main plant. There are several
more groupings like this spread out along one edge of the property. The
original owner planted these more than 35 years ago and they received no
care for the last 8 years or so. The guy that cut their grass kept them in
line by mowing the long branches.

http://home.mindspring.com/~pb.reynolds/_wsn/page3.html

Eastern central side of Georgia about 60 miles south Augusta.

Paul n Bev

Old 04-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Paul Reynolds

Hello Torgo,

"torgo" wrote in message
Hi, Paul ! I'm a novice rose grower too (my third season) not too
far from you (off of I-20 just east of Atlanta).

Small world isn't it. :-)

Propagating from branches has been our family's favorite "plant trick"
for generations. If a shrub (rose, azalea, whatever) has a fairly
low, horizontal branch, consider that an open invitation to make a new
plant.
The trick is to fill a pot with dirt and put it under the branch - on
a small table, plant stand, cinder blocks, or whatever is available
and necessary to bring the pot to roughly the same level as the
branch. Just stick the branch in the pot, maybe throw a little extra
dirt on it, and put a rock on top to weight it down and keep it in the
dirt.
The new plant continues to get nutrients from the parent plant, so
your success rate will be very, very high (beats the heck out of
trying to grow roses from cuttings) and you can leave it attached
until you're sure you have a thriving, healthy plant on your hands.
Then, when you're ready to separate it, you don't even have to dig it
up and risk hurting its roots - you've already potted it. Just
prune the branch that joins them and take your new shrub wherever you
like.

I'll remember that, sounds like the easy/best way to me.

Welcome to the group!

Thank you.

-torgo

Paul n Bev

Old 05-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Cass

Paul Reynolds wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the link. I can't help you with the identification from you
picture. Does the rose rebloom? Scent? Thorns?