Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Can a single apple tree bear alot of fruit without another?

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
news:BC4ACB0E418EB3E8.2D986ABCB058DD7B.67E460E4FA ...

I have an apple tree and last year I got 3 apples... They were
really good but there was only 3... The tree is 18 ft. tall and 16 ft
wide

It sounds as if it is an older tree. When apple (and other fruit) trees
get older, unless they are regularly taken care of, they tend to become
biennial, i.e. they bear heavily every other year. Another problem is
spring weather. If you get a frost when the blossoms are at a critical
stage, they become infertile and you will get a reduced or very reduced
apple crop depending on the extremity of the frost.