Old 02-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Kevin Miller

Default Can a single apple tree bear alot of fruit without another?

I have an apple tree and last year I got 3 apples... They were
really good but there was only 3... The tree is 18 ft. tall and 16 ft
wide
Old 02-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Dwayne

I don't know where you are, but in Arkansas when we lived there, the garden
man would come on TV and answer peoples questions. He always advised adding
a "super phosphate" for trees and flowers that didn't bloom or set on fruit.

Here, in western Kansas, the soil has plenty of phosphate. You might do a
soil test and if the phosphate is low or marginal try that. He always
recommended a 0 - 46 - 0 rated fertilizer to get the "super phosphate".
Follow the directions on the bag.

Dwayne

news:BC4ACB0E418EB3E8.2D986ABCB058DD7B.67E460E4FA9 ...

Old 02-05-2003, 03:08 PM

questions: were there lots of blooms?
did you have a late frost
did it get really cold+wet after it bloomed? (bees dont like cold wet weather)\
did all the fruit drop off?
did you have good moisture all summer long?
did you have a drought the year before?

My trees bloomed and set wonderful fruit the first year, no blooms the second and are
loaded with blossoms this spring. Ingrid

Kevin Miller wrote:
I have an apple tree and last year I got 3 apples... They were
really good but there was only 3... The tree is 18 ft. tall and 16 ft
wide

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:20 PM

apple trees do fine in areas with -30oF or zone 4. they are quite late blooming so
usually dont get caught with late frosts (unlike peaches and apricots).
there are now varieties that dont need much chill hours either to produce so they can
grow quite far down south. Ingrid

The apple tree cannot be counted on to hold its own in
regions where the temperature goes down with frequency to 20 below.
Long hot summers are as trying to the tree as cold winters.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 04-05-2003, 03:56 PM
animaux

I have the two lowest chill hour apples. 'Granny Smith,' and 'Mollies
Delicious.' I believe these are both 400 chill hours. Anyone who is wondering
what "chill hours," it's the amount of hours the temperature stays below 45
degrees in any given winter.

Victoria

On Sun, 04 May 2003 14:10:13 GMT, wrote:

apple trees do fine in areas with -30oF or zone 4. they are quite late blooming so
usually dont get caught with late frosts (unlike peaches and apricots).
there are now varieties that dont need much chill hours either to produce so they can
grow quite far down south. Ingrid

The apple tree cannot be counted on to hold its own in
regions where the temperature goes down with frequency to 20 below.
Long hot summers are as trying to the tree as cold winters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
news:BC4ACB0E418EB3E8.2D986ABCB058DD7B.67E460E4FA ...

I have an apple tree and last year I got 3 apples... They were
really good but there was only 3... The tree is 18 ft. tall and 16 ft
wide

It sounds as if it is an older tree. When apple (and other fruit) trees
get older, unless they are regularly taken care of, they tend to become
biennial, i.e. they bear heavily every other year. Another problem is
spring weather. If you get a frost when the blossoms are at a critical
stage, they become infertile and you will get a reduced or very reduced
apple crop depending on the extremity of the frost.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
animaux

On Mon, 05 May 2003 05:12:49 -0400, Ann wrote:

animaux expounded:

Our winter daytime temperatures are your spring temperatures. I love it here.

I would, too, if it wasn't for your summers!

And the lack of snow ;-

Yeah, but in mid winter we go out to the hot tub which is steaming in the cold
air and invigorate ourselves in the warmth. We DO have a cold week or two. By
cold I do mean night temps in the high 20s. I needed my heater 4 nights this
past winter, in the greenhouse.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Susan K. Wehe

Hi Kevin,
This might be a good time to consider becoming a beekeeper. Our trees
never produced well until we had bees and now we have more fruit than we
can deal with.

susan, who's really missed everyone on this newsgroup

Kevin Miller wrote:

On Fri, 02 May 2003 10:01:14 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Kevin Miller wrote:

I have an apple tree and last year I got 3 apples... They were
really good but there was only 3... The tree is 18 ft. tall and 16 ft
wide

Apples require a pollenator to produce well. If there are flowering
crabapple trees in your neighborkood you should be in good shape if the
weather and insects cooperate.

Has this tree ever produced a good crop?

I just bought the property so I don't know

Best regards,
Bob

Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Susan K. Wehe"
writes:

susan, who's really missed everyone on this newsgroup

Well hello Susan
We have missed you also, and welcome back.
It's great to hear from you!!

Emilie
in California