Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM

Default B&S starter mechanism and throttle questions

New poster here and not sure if I'm in the right group for these
questions. If not, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

What causes the "screaming/screeching" of the starter mechanism on an
old Briggs and Stratton engine (while engine is running)? The kind
that sometimes results in a "backlash" (for lack of a better term) of
the starter rope around its pulley. I've seen several mowers do this
occasionally but I've never seen FAQ maintenance tips regarding
prevention. I suspect the ratchet mechanism is the culprit but upon
inspection (spinning it by hand with cowling removed) I've seen
nothing wrong with it. I've tried lubricating mine but doesn't seem
to help.

Also, when removing the starter pulley (to untangle the backlash or
replace the spring), the metal retainer tabs will eventually break
off. Anybody have a fix for broken tabs, short of buying a new
cowling?

And while I'm on the engine topic, I've recently been shopping for
another small, simple, cheap, push mower. I'm astonished to find the
new designs have no throttle on the handle. What's up with that? Sales
people I've talked with (Walmart, Kmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc)
can't answer why a throttle is no longer standard design nor whether
or not I can add one myself (kit for extra $$ maybe?). They simply
tell me I don't need a throttle, at which point I move one with my
search (whether I need one or not, I *want* a throttle). Anybody here
ever jury rig a throttle one one of these new throttleless designs?
Seems simple enough but I haven't looked closely at it yet.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick