Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM

Default B&S starter mechanism and throttle questions

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:52:31 GMT, "Dr. Doctor" wrote:
clean up the shaft part of
the crankshaft that goes inside them with a fine emery cloth, you will also
have to clean the inside of the clutch where the shaft fits into

It's been a while since I've had it off, but I don't remember the
crankshaft fitting up into it. Seems to me the clutch just screws into
the flywheel. I'll take a look later today. Here's a picture of it on
this parts list (you have to scroll down a little). Is this the same
kind of starter clutch you're describing?
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/BS4.cfm

you are only left with replacing the
clutch.

Guess that's what I'll do then. It's just that it seems to spin
(ratchet) pretty easily ... I guess not easily enough though shrug.

as for the tabs on the shroud they come with 4 use only 2 at a time
and when 3 have broken off it is replace it

Mine had only 3 to begin with, 2 right next to each other, and it
takes 2 (one on each side) to retain the pulley. I've long since
broken one of the 2 that are close together, so the next one that goes
will cause the problem (and it'll take only one or two more bendings
to break it off). Seems like it would've been simple to design a
better system. Then again, I guess you get what you pay for.

or have someone weld tabs back
on

Thanks. I'll check into that.

hope that answers your questions.