Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Sunflower

Default Painting Chain Link Fence

"AuralFeast" wrote in message
At a landscaping seminar Saturday, we were advised to "invisibleize" our

chain
link fence by painting it a "natural" color - black, brown or green. I'm

not
so sure about this for a number of reasons, primarily because I envision

having
to repaint it frequently due to peeling and weathering paint.

Anyone ever done this - have any paint/technique recommendations? I

suppose I
could give it a whack and replace the fencing it if it looks real bad. In

only
have about 80 feet of it.

Thanks in advance.

BP

As chain link is galvanized metal, a special primer is needed to keep the
paint from peeling rapidly. Also, application with a thich napped roller is
the most effective. Spraying it on in any form is wasteful and the
overspray isn't kind to any greenery about. Also, unless you have a
respirator handy (you should if you use pesticides of any form) it will
involve that additional expense and discomfort. The better solution is to
plant a climber of some sort to cover the chain link, and use it as a
trellis.