Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
AuralFeast

Default Painting Chain Link Fence

At a landscaping seminar Saturday, we were advised to "invisibleize" our chain
link fence by painting it a "natural" color - black, brown or green. I'm not
so sure about this for a number of reasons, primarily because I envision having
to repaint it frequently due to peeling and weathering paint.

Anyone ever done this - have any paint/technique recommendations? I suppose I
could give it a whack and replace the fencing it if it looks real bad. In only
have about 80 feet of it.

Thanks in advance.

BP
Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
jo

"AuralFeast" wrote in message
At a landscaping seminar Saturday, we were advised to "invisibleize" our

chain
link fence by painting it a "natural" color - black, brown or green. I'm

not
so sure about this for a number of reasons, primarily because I envision

having
to repaint it frequently due to peeling and weathering paint.

My last house was a 75 yr. old in an urban setting. I got a quart of the
darkest green I could find and painted the smallest section of fence. The
look was unacceptable to me because it actually looked worse against the
backdrop of my white house and garage. I have seen black or green look good
against a wooded background, however. Personally, I'd pass on brown.
My neighbor and I wound up repainting with Benjamin Moore Aluminum paint and
the fences looked like brand new. I was also advised to use primer if not
using aluminum paint on the rusty areas.

As far as repainting, well nothing lasts forever, but it's cheap and should
look good for several years.

Anyone ever done this - have any paint/technique recommendations?

Sure, first hit up any rusty areas with a wire brush. Dust off or rinse off
the loose particles. Wait a day to paint if you rinsed it. Get a painting
mitt and some plastic gloves and a fluffy roller. You might want tape and
plastic sheeting to keep paint off buildings and landscaping.

The easiest way to paint the poles was to put on a plastic glove (plastic in
the mitt breaks down) then the painting mitt and just dip the mitt part way
into the can of paint then grab the pole and run your hand from top to
bottom and across the top. Then take your fluffy roller and roll the mesh
part, this is messy and goes much faster if you can get another person to
roll on the opposite side of the fence at the same time.

I suppose I
could give it a whack and replace the fencing it if it looks real bad. In

only
have about 80 feet of it.

Another option is to remove the mesh, paint the poles and put up new mesh
rather than replace the entire fencing if the poles are in good shape.
Jo

Thanks in advance.

BP

Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Sunflower

"AuralFeast" wrote in message
At a landscaping seminar Saturday, we were advised to "invisibleize" our

chain
link fence by painting it a "natural" color - black, brown or green. I'm

not
so sure about this for a number of reasons, primarily because I envision

having
to repaint it frequently due to peeling and weathering paint.

Anyone ever done this - have any paint/technique recommendations? I

suppose I
could give it a whack and replace the fencing it if it looks real bad. In

only
have about 80 feet of it.

Thanks in advance.

BP

As chain link is galvanized metal, a special primer is needed to keep the
paint from peeling rapidly. Also, application with a thich napped roller is
the most effective. Spraying it on in any form is wasteful and the
overspray isn't kind to any greenery about. Also, unless you have a
respirator handy (you should if you use pesticides of any form) it will
involve that additional expense and discomfort. The better solution is to
plant a climber of some sort to cover the chain link, and use it as a
trellis.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Natty_Dread" wrote:

I have done it one. It is a major pain. You have to do it with a small
brush, both sides, one link at a time.

I would think one could use a power spray painter for that, instead of doing
it all by hand. Has anyone here ever tried that method?

yes - most of the paint is wasted on the air between the links.
A fuzzy roller works quite well.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

[IMG] code is On

chain link fence query RB Lawns 2 27-02-2005 05:27 PM
What should I rotate around tall chain link fence? James Edible Gardening 7 30-06-2004 03:09 PM
Boston Ivy on a Chain Link Fence? Jeff Gardening 2 08-09-2003 06:42 AM
Best vines to cover a chain link fence Logic 3:16 Gardening 2 20-05-2003 12:32 PM
Hiding a chain link fence in Illinois [email protected] Gardening 5 01-03-2003 06:27 PM