Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Tony Ashton

Default [IBC] Wisteria tree collect now?

I had the opportunity to collect a wisteria in February of 02...2002 that
is. It was growing in clay that was baked as hard as stone. I ended up
chopping the trunk at 24 inches below the soil line - with zero in the way
of feeder roots. I Put the whole works in a 35 gallon nursery tub with
perlite - watered well all spring and summer and it filled the entire pot
with fine roots by this spring. So far, this year blooming like mad and
shooting greenery everywhere.

Go ahead and collect - treat it like you would a very large cutting and it
should reward you well.

Tony Ashton
Portland Oregon

****