Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
BenignVanilla

Default New Koi - has anyone seen them?

"K30a" wrote in message
HaukiDog wrote
Fish in a new pond are often nervous and upset.
They will slowly get used to their new surroundings and show up,

especially for
feeding!
I would wait a good week.
You will know when a racoon shows up as they are not the neatest of

creatures.
They will commonly trash plants and pull them out of pots looking for

snails or
crawfish. They don't know they are not in your pond, but they will look

all the
same. They will also knock over rocks and make a general nuisance out of
themselves.
I have some tips to deal with racoons if you would like to see them ;-)
You just let me know.

Anecdotal evidence...I tossed in 6 rosy minnows after having water in my
pond for 4-5 days. They went in and disappeared, which was not hard due to
the suspended clay in the water. Sunday, I came out to the pond to check the
water and the minnows were eating at the surface...when I approached they
submerged...I repeated this experience throughout the day. Now the
interesting part...when I had these very fish in the tank in my
office...they would sit staring at me all day until I fed them...all in a
huddle at the glass...In they're new environment they are
scared...interesting...

BV.