Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
HaukiDog

Default New Koi - has anyone seen them?

Hi,

I have a new pond, about 3 feet deep and 11x9. I got five small (3
inches) Koi, and placed them in, introducing them gradually to the
water. I'm confident my water is good quality, and I have not seen any
fish floating. So, where are they, since about 1 minute after I put
them in I have seen no sign of them.

1. Is this common?
2. If so, how long does it take till they might spend time at or near
the surface?
3. If they were dead, would I see them. I know racoons would take
them, but I have yet to see any around this year, and my dogs alert me
when they show up.

-HaukiDog
Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Do you have bridge, pots, or anything they can hide inside?

How long have you been looking for them? It's not unusual for new fish to
hide for days!

Give it a while mate, they may come back up to feed once they get
comfortable with their new surroundings

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

om...

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
K30a

HaukiDog wrote
Fish in a new pond are often nervous and upset.
They will slowly get used to their new surroundings and show up, especially for
feeding!
I would wait a good week.
You will know when a racoon shows up as they are not the neatest of creatures.
They will commonly trash plants and pull them out of pots looking for snails or
crawfish. They don't know they are not in your pond, but they will look all the
same. They will also knock over rocks and make a general nuisance out of
themselves.
I have some tips to deal with racoons if you would like to see them ;-)
You just let me know.

k30a
Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
HaukiDog wrote
Fish in a new pond are often nervous and upset.
They will slowly get used to their new surroundings and show up,

especially for
feeding!
I would wait a good week.
You will know when a racoon shows up as they are not the neatest of

creatures.
They will commonly trash plants and pull them out of pots looking for

snails or
crawfish. They don't know they are not in your pond, but they will look

all the
same. They will also knock over rocks and make a general nuisance out of
themselves.
I have some tips to deal with racoons if you would like to see them ;-)
You just let me know.

Anecdotal evidence...I tossed in 6 rosy minnows after having water in my
pond for 4-5 days. They went in and disappeared, which was not hard due to
the suspended clay in the water. Sunday, I came out to the pond to check the
water and the minnows were eating at the surface...when I approached they
submerged...I repeated this experience throughout the day. Now the
interesting part...when I had these very fish in the tank in my
office...they would sit staring at me all day until I fed them...all in a
huddle at the glass...In they're new environment they are
scared...interesting...

BV.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Lee Brouillet

The first of April, I put two 3" black koi in my pond. They instantly
disappeared (black fish/black bottom) and I have not seen them since (except
the one I nearly killed in the skimmer net 3 days later). I've not seen
either of them since *that* incident. Now, consider that I have Moby Dick (3
of 'em!) in the pond (if you're a little 3-incher), but my fish are very
friendly and non-aggressive. There's plenty of algae to eat so they won't
starve. And they haven't floated to the surface. I don't know where they
went, either. One of these days . . .

Lee

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
John Rutz

Lee Brouillet wrote:
The first of April, I put two 3" black koi in my pond. They instantly
disappeared (black fish/black bottom) and I have not seen them since (except
the one I nearly killed in the skimmer net 3 days later). I've not seen
either of them since *that* incident. Now, consider that I have Moby Dick (3
of 'em!) in the pond (if you're a little 3-incher), but my fish are very
friendly and non-aggressive. There's plenty of algae to eat so they won't
starve. And they haven't floated to the surface. I don't know where they
went, either. One of these days . . .

Lee

"HaukiDog" wrote in message

its aparently a survival thing I just put some nw fish in a 300 g stock
thank they are all huddling around the pump and piping ( the only place
in there to "hide") and staying at the bottom, eventualy they will
start comming to the surface when they start feeling comfortable wth
thier new home

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Don

I put 3 koi in my new pond last summer and didn't see them for months. I
was sure at least one was gone. This spring a generous pond owner gave me
his koi because he was moving (thanks Michael). His were totally unafraid
and tame. Now mine mingle with them. It is documented that koi will school
and find a leader.

Try feeding them at the same place every day so they get used to you. It
may take awhile. Mine never came out until they had braver buddies. I have
some inside that were terrified until they figured out...human = food.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Lee Brouillet

I know John, but it's been a MONTH! My "guys" are a friendly sort, they come
out and greet new fish, escort them around the pond and show them the hidey
holes and everything - the whole guided tour. These little ones just went
"poof"! I feed in the same corner every time (although I'd probably hide
from the feeding frenzy, too!) They're hiding in the plastic plants or in
the block holes or somewhere. They're jet black, and against the liner, you
just don't see them. I guess when they get around 10" or so I'll finally
notice them. Funny, they were tame enough during the Q period . . . How are
your new kids doin'? Do you have a plant or something you can put in there
for them to hide in? In the aquarium, I put a lot of floaty "plants" for
them . . . the real plants gave up the ghost during the salt treatments . .
..

Lee

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
John Rutz

Lee Brouillet wrote:
I know John, but it's been a MONTH! My "guys" are a friendly sort, they come
out and greet new fish, escort them around the pond and show them the hidey
holes and everything - the whole guided tour. These little ones just went
"poof"! I feed in the same corner every time (although I'd probably hide
from the feeding frenzy, too!) They're hiding in the plastic plants or in
the block holes or somewhere. They're jet black, and against the liner, you
just don't see them. I guess when they get around 10" or so I'll finally
notice them. Funny, they were tame enough during the Q period . . . How are
your new kids doin'? Do you have a plant or something you can put in there
for them to hide in? In the aquarium, I put a lot of floaty "plants" for
them . . . the real plants gave up the ghost during the salt treatments . .
.

Lee

they are going great they dont come up to eat but they are eating (i
can see the results ;-) ) im goin to try to grow em out some before
putting them in the " lake " i've got a couple that are a real prety
dark grreeenish so dont expect to see much of them again :-) sorta like
your black ones Im puting algae in the tank for em between feedings

I want to try to get another inch or so on em so they arent so much
the Little guys, probly another 6 weeks in the Q tank then when they hit
th pond they sould grow out real well with all the algae to munch on all
day
I promis I will get pics of them here soon

Old 06-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

In the aquarium you are looking at them at eye level. Now you are towering
above them. My fish hang out with me when I'm in the pond, but will not get
close if I stand over them.

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 06-05-2003, 07:08 PM
HaukiDog

I suppose if the Koi can wait ... so can I!