Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Lee Brouillet

Default Water temp question

While some of the folks up North are still wondering if they can feed their
fish yet, my water temp is in the mid-80's. The air temp is threatening to
reach the 90's this week. The pond only gets full sun from about 11-4
o'clock (at this time of year), so I guess I need to make some kind of sun
shade to shield the pond. The shade cloth I was looking at is rated by "UV
Protection"; in other words, it will shield 50%, 80% and 100% UV. I can
shade the pond without bothering the plants (which are all in the waterfall
area, not the pond where the fish are - which is plantless). Therefore,
total (100%) blockage of UV will not hurt my plant life. But which is best
for the fish? Should I go for the density of the 100%? Also, which has the
most influence on the water temp: direct sun or air temp?

Thanks for your input.

--
Lee B.
See my Zone 9 a/b ponds at: