Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Don

Default New Koi - has anyone seen them?

I put 3 koi in my new pond last summer and didn't see them for months. I
was sure at least one was gone. This spring a generous pond owner gave me
his koi because he was moving (thanks Michael). His were totally unafraid
and tame. Now mine mingle with them. It is documented that koi will school
and find a leader.

Try feeding them at the same place every day so they get used to you. It
may take awhile. Mine never came out until they had braver buddies. I have
some inside that were terrified until they figured out...human = food.

"HaukiDog" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a new pond, about 3 feet deep and 11x9. I got five small (3
inches) Koi, and placed them in, introducing them gradually to the
water. I'm confident my water is good quality, and I have not seen any
fish floating. So, where are they, since about 1 minute after I put
them in I have seen no sign of them.

1. Is this common?
2. If so, how long does it take till they might spend time at or near
the surface?
3. If they were dead, would I see them. I know racoons would take
them, but I have yet to see any around this year, and my dogs alert me
when they show up.

-HaukiDog