Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
MLF

Default heating a small pond?

"Jerry Cloe" wrote:
My question is should I install some type of small water heater or

something
and heat the water (probably set at 55 to 60) so as the temps start

falling
below the water will be maintained.

You could certainly do it, but unless you live in Miami, you'd never be able
to keep it as warm as you mention (35 degrees is plenty). In any case, it
would be a very expensive proposition. A 1500 watt heater (which would
probably not be big enough) would cost over $100 in electricity each month
to run.

Someone mentioned an electric water heater with piping to a coil in the
pond. A continuous flow would be set up (if designed right) and the coil
would act as a heat exchanger. That would work just fine, but would be at
least as expensive as a submersible heater. Again, it may not have the
capacity you want unless it's fairly large.

You might want to consider a solar panel plumbed to a coil in the water. It
may not work as well as a submersible electric heater, but it would be
cheaper. Alternatively, you can create a "greenhouse" by covering your pond
with plastic in the colder months. Of course, a combination of a transparent
plastic cover, solar heater, and an electric heater might do it but it would
not be cheap.

I personally don't think you really need a heater at all unless you live in
an exceptionally cold climate. If so, it may be worth biting the bullet and
paying the price. Good luck!

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)