Old 05-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Jerry Cloe

Default heating a small pond?

I plan on setting up a somewhat small pond (probably around 7500 gal's, but
less than 4 feet deep). I realize that the surface freezing over isn't a
problem, but I'm worried about it freezing completely through.

I'll have a pump to generate a small waterfall (and will have filters setup
at that point).

My question is should I install some type of small water heater or something
and heat the water (probably set at 55 to 60) so as the temps start falling
below the water will be maintained.

Does anyone have any ideas or input on this? Reading through past posts I
don't really see that much about heating.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Jerry Cloe wrote:
I plan on setting up a somewhat small pond (probably around 7500 gal's, but
less than 4 feet deep). I realize that the surface freezing over isn't a
problem, but I'm worried about it freezing completely through.

I'll have a pump to generate a small waterfall (and will have filters setup
at that point).

My question is should I install some type of small water heater or something
and heat the water (probably set at 55 to 60) so as the temps start falling
below the water will be maintained.

Does anyone have any ideas or input on this? Reading through past posts I
don't really see that much about heating.

Hi,

I don't know what you consider a large pond. Your's
would be that to many of memebers of rec.ponds.

The one thing needed to answer the question is your
location. Many of us keep an opening in the ice with
just a air pump and a airstone. It worked for me in
the bitter cold past winter here in NJ.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 05-05-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Jerry Cloe" wrote:

My question is should I install some type of small water heater or

something
and heat the water (probably set at 55 to 60) so as the temps start

falling
below the water will be maintained.

Depends where your at, and how bad the winters are.

You can not beat a stock tank heater. 1500 watts doing its best to keep
your pond at 35 degrees. Not cheap, but it works when the others fail.

You should have that as a back up, if everything else fails.

- or -

Who has the link for the dude with the indoor water heater that pumps
through a heat exchanger in his pond?

BV.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
MLF

"Jerry Cloe" wrote:
My question is should I install some type of small water heater or

something
and heat the water (probably set at 55 to 60) so as the temps start

falling
below the water will be maintained.

You could certainly do it, but unless you live in Miami, you'd never be able
to keep it as warm as you mention (35 degrees is plenty). In any case, it
would be a very expensive proposition. A 1500 watt heater (which would
probably not be big enough) would cost over $100 in electricity each month
to run.

Someone mentioned an electric water heater with piping to a coil in the
pond. A continuous flow would be set up (if designed right) and the coil
would act as a heat exchanger. That would work just fine, but would be at
least as expensive as a submersible heater. Again, it may not have the
capacity you want unless it's fairly large.

You might want to consider a solar panel plumbed to a coil in the water. It
may not work as well as a submersible electric heater, but it would be
cheaper. Alternatively, you can create a "greenhouse" by covering your pond
with plastic in the colder months. Of course, a combination of a transparent
plastic cover, solar heater, and an electric heater might do it but it would
not be cheap.

I personally don't think you really need a heater at all unless you live in
an exceptionally cold climate. If so, it may be worth biting the bullet and
paying the price. Good luck!

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Nedra

I use a 1250 watt De-Icer that is pre-set to turn on at 40 degrees.
This is great for keeping a hole open in the pond
during those frigid winter days and nights. I haven't figured
out how much it costs but I know it isn't anywhere near $100
per month. My all-electric house is only $95 per month...
that includes Everything incl. A/C.
Btw, you can buy the De-Icer at farm equipment stores ..
it is made by Farm Innovators.

Nedra

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
RichToyBox

I heat my ponds and maintain near 70 all winter in Zone 7. If you are going
to try to heat, I would recommend that you keep the pond above 65 degrees to
stay out of aeromonas alley, or keep the temperature down below 50 degrees.
The heaters that I have are 1800 watts each. I have 2 of them on the 4000
gallon pond and 1 on the 2000 gallon pond. They are really the backup heat
source though. The ponds are covered with 2X4 lean-to shed roof of 2 layers
of polyethylene sheeting and a layer of bubble wrap. This acts as a solar
greenhouse and the temperature in the greenhouse on sunny days in February
will be near 90 degrees, but come the long nights the temperature drops and
it can lower the pond temperature 5 or 6 degrees if the lean-to is covered
with snow, preventing the solar gain. My heaters are from Aquatic Eco Cat.
# QP-20.

Unless you are extremely far north, I don't believe you could get the pond
to freeze all the way through at 4 feet. That would take a tremendous
number of sub-sub freezing days. The ice does need to have a hole through
it to allow gas exchange for the fish, and this is best accomplished with an
air stone mounted just lower than the bottom of the ice. A water trough
heater may be needed to help the air stone maintain an opening.
--
RichToyBox

Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Nedra

I would dearly love to heat my koi pond during the winter...
However, the pond is on the north side of the house and
gets No sun light from October thru the first part of March.
With no rays of sunlight to help, there is No way a shelter
of any kind would help me .. errr ..I mean the fish! The pond
gets
down to 32 degrees in the winter .... and it stays there
until March.

Nedra

Old 06-05-2003, 12:20 PM
GrampysGurl

I personally don't think you really need a heater at all unless you live in
an exceptionally cold climate. If so, it may be worth biting the bullet and
paying the price. Good luck!

Michael Fermanis

Even then you only need a very small area open for gas exchange. It doesn't get
much colder then it did this past winter here in Connecticut, we didn't even
hit 20 once in January, it was HORRID and we did ok. I did lose some toughies
but my bigguns made it through the winter great.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut.

heating the pond in winter [email protected] Ponds (moderated) 21 27-10-2008 11:21 AM
Pond Solar Heating? Greg Cooper Ponds 18 23-05-2005 01:54 AM
Newbie question: Small filter for small pond? angel toledo Ponds 4 22-04-2005 05:18 PM
soil heating cables for winter use/heating a greenhouse Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 14 08-08-2004 06:36 AM
substrate heating.. BruceKGeist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:11 AM