Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Thomas Greeves

Default Weedkiller.

"chris.sperry" wrote in message
Are most weedkillers strong enough to kill or damage mature trees. I have
two sycamore trees at the bottom of my garden and I want to use Pathclear

get rid of the weeds underneath them.

Advice would be welcome.

Is the ground underneath the trees a patio, soil or lawn?

Pathclear is not so good to use as it will say in the soil for up to 6
months.

A Glyphosate based weedkiller, such as roundup are good to used- but you
should target the specific plant you wish to kill. Spray the weed rather
than using a watering can. Glyphosate is good because it does brake down in
the soil. However if it rains before it dries then it will be inactive.
Tumbleweed Glyphosate gel is good because you paint the leaves directly.

If the ground underneath is lawn then use a lawn weedkiller (verdone is one
of the best) Glyphosate will kill grass and can leave white patches.

As long as you spray the leaves of the weeds and avoid the trees (Glyphosate
is taken up through the leaves) then you will be ok.