Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
chris.sperry

Default Weedkiller.

Are most weedkillers strong enough to kill or damage mature trees. I have
two sycamore trees at the bottom of my garden and I want to use Pathclear to
get rid of the weeds underneath them.

Advice would be welcome.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Mimi De Moratti

On Mon, 5 May 2003 19:37:42 +0100, chris.sperry wrote
(in message ):

Are most weedkillers strong enough to kill or damage mature trees. I have
two sycamore trees at the bottom of my garden and I want to use Pathclear to
get rid of the weeds underneath them.

Advice would be welcome.

Why don't you just weed the old fashioned way? When the soil is damp, use a
hand fork and loosen the soil and pull out the weeds and their root run. Keep
doing this when they reappear (weaker and weaker, smaller and smaller) until
they don't come back. I have been doing this for years and have practically
no perennial weeds in my garden. Just cultivated a part of the field that
used to be nothing but nettles. (Areas that used to have nettles are actually
the most fertile). If you put weedkiller down it is detrimental to
everything - your soil, other plants, and wildlife/insects - which you need -
(no matter what it says on the label). Hand weeding is also extremely
satisfying. Get a kneeling mat and get stuck in.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Thomas Greeves

"chris.sperry" wrote in message
Are most weedkillers strong enough to kill or damage mature trees. I have
two sycamore trees at the bottom of my garden and I want to use Pathclear

get rid of the weeds underneath them.

Advice would be welcome.

Is the ground underneath the trees a patio, soil or lawn?

Pathclear is not so good to use as it will say in the soil for up to 6
months.

A Glyphosate based weedkiller, such as roundup are good to used- but you
should target the specific plant you wish to kill. Spray the weed rather
than using a watering can. Glyphosate is good because it does brake down in
the soil. However if it rains before it dries then it will be inactive.
Tumbleweed Glyphosate gel is good because you paint the leaves directly.

If the ground underneath is lawn then use a lawn weedkiller (verdone is one
of the best) Glyphosate will kill grass and can leave white patches.

As long as you spray the leaves of the weeds and avoid the trees (Glyphosate
is taken up through the leaves) then you will be ok.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 AM
anton

Mimi De Moratti wrote in message
k...
On Mon, 5 May 2003 19:37:42 +0100, chris.sperry wrote
(in message ):

Are most weedkillers strong enough to kill or damage mature trees. I have
two sycamore trees at the bottom of my garden and I want to use Pathclear

get rid of the weeds underneath them.

Advice would be welcome.

Why don't you just weed the old fashioned way? When the soil is damp, use a
hand fork and loosen the soil and pull out the weeds and their root run.

Keep
doing this when they reappear (weaker and weaker, smaller and smaller)

until
they don't come back. I have been doing this for years and have practically
no perennial weeds in my garden. Just cultivated a part of the field that
used to be nothing but nettles. (Areas that used to have nettles are

actually the most fertile).

Do you mean the nettles grew best in the most fertile soil?

If you put weedkiller down it is detrimental to
everything - your soil,

evidence?

other plants,

er, yes, that is the point.

and wildlife/insects - which you need -
(no matter what it says on the label).

Evidence?

Hand weeding is also extremely
satisfying. Get a kneeling mat and get stuck in.

Or stick the kneeling mat.......?

--
Anton

Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Martin Brown

"chris.sperry" wrote:

Are most weedkillers strong enough to kill or damage mature trees. I have
two sycamore trees at the bottom of my garden and I want to use Pathclear to
get rid of the weeds underneath them.

Advice would be welcome.

Pathclear isn't a sensible choice to use other than on paths. It is far too
persistent. It is an even more crazy thing to use on lawns (you can't regrow
grass on spots treated with it for about 6 months without a soil change).

Glyphosate kills any green plant material it touches and is a translocating
weedkiller so it takes roots and all. Keep the spray completely off the trees
leaves and it will be fine. I have found holly seedlings and a few other very
waxy plants can tolerate glyphosate overspray but I would never rely on it.

I'd be more inclined to get rid of the sycamore trees myself.

Regards,
Martin Brown

safe weedkiller for cats? miss calm United Kingdom 9 08-05-2003 09:32 AM
weedkiller, roundup, knockdown Frank Logullo Gardening 5 05-05-2003 02:44 PM
Grass Killer (weedkiller) welshman United Kingdom 3 29-04-2003 08:33 PM
Weedkiller TAK United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:14 AM
Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller Jane Ransom United Kingdom 3 28-09-2002 04:51 PM