Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Brown Anacharis and string algae report

Earlier this year, we all commented on our brown anacharis. Ours was brown
too. It is now green and has grown a lot. We read that to teach that
anacharis sheds its old leaves before bursting out with the new.

Additionally, we have found that the veggie filter with only anacharis in it
has a lot of string algae in the top 2". It thrives in shallow still water.
BELOW the thick string algae, there is almost none of it! Clear water and
no depthe of string. We harvest the thick top algae from time to time, good
way to remove the energy that cold give us green water.

Our parrots feather veggie filter has much more deeper string algae webs and
they are harder to remove as they are woven in and around the roots. We are
leaving it in rather than damage the roots.

What are others finding?

Phyllis and Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net