Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Brown Anacharis and string algae report

Earlier this year, we all commented on our brown anacharis. Ours was brown
too. It is now green and has grown a lot. We read that to teach that
anacharis sheds its old leaves before bursting out with the new.

Additionally, we have found that the veggie filter with only anacharis in it
has a lot of string algae in the top 2". It thrives in shallow still water.
BELOW the thick string algae, there is almost none of it! Clear water and
no depthe of string. We harvest the thick top algae from time to time, good
way to remove the energy that cold give us green water.

Our parrots feather veggie filter has much more deeper string algae webs and
they are harder to remove as they are woven in and around the roots. We are
leaving it in rather than damage the roots.

What are others finding?

Phyllis and Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message . ..
[...]

Do you have your anacharis only in your VF? I tossed some into the main pond
and into the VF. The stuff in the VF seems to be growing already...the stuff
in the main pond is invisible because of my suspended clay problem...

Old 07-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Our anacharis becomes invisible in the main pond because it becomes koi
food. Our veggie filter is full of it. It is about 12" deep in the veggie
filter.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 07-05-2003, 03:44 AM
~ jan

On Tue, 6 May 2003 19:35:57 -0500, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

Our anacharis becomes invisible in the main pond because it becomes koi
food. Our veggie filter is full of it. It is about 12" deep in the veggie
filter.

Well mine never appeared to shed it leaves, but the new growth is at the
tips of the old brown stuff. I can't remove anything ugly right now as the
lily pond is full of tiny treefrog taddies. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a