Old 06-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Dendrobium nobile identity

On Sun, 04 May 2003 20:08:56 GMT, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

I also purchased one last summer which bloomed beautifully this spring
similiar to your picture. It came with the varietal name Okayama 'Gold
Harmony'. I don't know the parentage but would be interested in finding out.

Den Okayama Gold is Den Midas x Den Yellow Ribbon registered in
1992 by J. Yamamoto. There is no registration of a clone
'Harmony.' Someone who enjoys a particular plant, but has no
award can name his/her clone without a record being made of the
clone name. Unless a plant wins an award we do not normally know
someone has named a clone.

There is no registration of a Den. nobile clone with a name of
Gold Harmony; Or with the clone name of Stardust.

Den Stardust is Den unicum x Den Ukon. Stardust is 50% unicum,
25% moniliforme, 12.5% nobile, 6.5% signatum and 6.5% aureum also
known as heterocarpum - now you can use
http://www.orchidspecies.com/ to look at them or find out more
about the parents of your hybrid.

Den Okayama Gold is a more involved hybrid. It goes thru several
other hybrids. But the species involved are 49.37% nobile,
21.58% signatum, 21.73% aureum also known as heterocarpum;
5.27% regium; .98% hildebrandii (signatum), .83 % of moniliforme,
and finally .24 % findlayanum. If you remember our discussion of
genes you know it is likely some of the smaller % represent
species that were selected out during the cross breeding. But
the species will be available to research at
http://www.orchidspecies.com/ .

Proving that you have this particular hybrid out of the hundreds
of plants that similarly have nobile style growth or flowers is a
different matter entirely.

SuE