Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Alison

Default what orchids could I grow?

I've been researching what might grow in the conditions I have, &
wondered if some more experienced growers might have some suggestions.
I have only limited space, with a south bay window. It's not shaded;
the sun is too high to shine right on the plants in the middle of
summer but does the rest of the year. Others in the house would
object to a sheer curtain cutting off their view
Day temps are 70-80+ depending on time of year, & nights are 60ish.
Humidity in the house is 50-60ish, & the window is right over the
kitchen sink so that probably helps. It sounds like I could grow
vandas or relatives, but they'd have to be smaller ones (not more than
2 feet). I currently have a brassia, an ascocentrum, a dendrobium & a
doritaenopsis in that window. They all seem to be content there
although I worry about the dtps getting too much sun. It's starting a
spike though.
I was looking at Onc. Sharry Baby, but how big does that get?
Could I grow a beallara?
There is also a corner inside a south-facing frosted glass door, but I
don't think the air circulation is very good, & I don't know if the
night temperature drops much in the summer. It's quite cool in the
winter. I would rather have the plants in the window than in a corner

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks!

Alison