Old 06-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Help, re horseradish

In article ,
Drakanthus wrote:
In my experience, dandelion doesn't compete. I have little difficulty
digging it up in such a way that it stays dug. But I agree about
thistle (assuming we mean the same one).

Probably. The tricky bit with horseradish is the depth of the roots - the tap
roots seem to go much deeper than dandelion and thistle. I'd recommend trying the
sauce by the way - It is much better than the shop bought version. As I understand
it manufacturers are required by law to pasteurise the root - which drives off
most of the volatile aromatic compounds that gives the sauce its pungency.

They also usually bind it in some revolting salad cream substance,
often made with cheap synthetic vinegar. Yes, I agree with it, but
don't limit yourself to horseradish sauce.

A small amount in mackerel pate, used to stuff mackerel and oily
fish, and even just added to suitable stews. And, of course, many
pickles. It is the UK's answer to chillis as a general warming
ingredient :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.