Old 06-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Anthony E Anson

Default Fig tree - further advice appreciated!

The message
In article ,
(Duncan Langford) writes:

| A while back, I asked here for help with my fig tree, which, while pretty
| good at producing leaves, wasn't too hot at making figs.
|
| The concensus then seemed to be that I needed to water the fig tree
| regularly, and feed it with liquid tomato fertilizer...
|
| Well, I've taken this to heart, and have bought a bottle of the
fertilizer
| (one capfull per watering can) and have been watering my tree, and
feeding
| it, religiously...

Eh?

Tomato fertiliser is not a bad choice, but you need to stay WELL
away from giving it more nitrogen. Figs tend to behave as you
say in soil that is too rich and well-watered.

I wouldn't give it any fertiliser at all. Either you let a fig rip, and
it grows vast, fast, or you constrict the roots and keep it in bounds.
If it really gors weedy, a bit of phosphate perhaps, and as Duncan says,
lay off the nitrogen. (Lay off nitrogen for grapes, too.)

Generally, the advice for too much leaf and no figs is NOT to feed
it, and water it only in severe droughts (and I do mean severe).

Good advice - remember where figs come from...

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi