Old 07-05-2003, 12:56 AM
jhultman

Default what's invading my spirea

2 cents.

Looks mostly like aphid nymphs. The white fleck if they are aphids are the
skins
after molting.
Here's a great link and resource I found just two days ago.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7404.html
--------
Here's the hack gardener in me being revealed.

I'd first hose em off as much as possible knocking them off
then hit them with some
dishsoap, vegetable oil and hot sauce.

tablespoon hot sauce
tablespoon lemon scented dishsoap
table spoon vegetable oil
Gallon of water.

Used a spray bottle to get all areas.

Jeff

xcitor wrote:

don't have a pest identification guide (any www resources appreciated), but
in the meantime, if anyone can identify the pests at:

http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea1.jpg and
http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea2.jpg

i would certainly appreciate it. they don't seem to be stressing the plant
in any way, but i'm just trying to ascertain (1) what they are; and (2)
what, if anything, i should do about them. i'd like to avoid poisions if i
can.

thanks,
--john