Old 07-05-2003, 12:32 AM
xcitor

Default what's invading my spirea

don't have a pest identification guide (any www resources appreciated), but
in the meantime, if anyone can identify the pests at:

http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea1.jpg and
http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea2.jpg

i would certainly appreciate it. they don't seem to be stressing the plant
in any way, but i'm just trying to ascertain (1) what they are; and (2)
what, if anything, i should do about them. i'd like to avoid poisions if i
can.

thanks,
--john
Old 07-05-2003, 12:56 AM
jhultman

2 cents.

Looks mostly like aphid nymphs. The white fleck if they are aphids are the
skins
after molting.
Here's a great link and resource I found just two days ago.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7404.html
--------
Here's the hack gardener in me being revealed.

I'd first hose em off as much as possible knocking them off
then hit them with some
dishsoap, vegetable oil and hot sauce.

tablespoon hot sauce
tablespoon lemon scented dishsoap
table spoon vegetable oil
Gallon of water.

Used a spray bottle to get all areas.

Jeff

Old 07-05-2003, 02:08 AM
madgardener

THOSE are aphids............make up some soapy water in a hose attachment
and spray their butts off the spirea. They're sucking the juices outa the
poor bush!!!
madgardener (I have aphids too, but apparently the word got out and ladybugs
are eating them as fast as they can........hopefully they will lay eggs and
once their larval children hatch, the "APHID LION" will consume more than
mom did..........)

Old 07-05-2003, 05:08 AM
JNJ

don't have a pest identification guide (any www resources appreciated),
but
in the meantime, if anyone can identify the pests at:

http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea1.jpg and
http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea2.jpg

i would certainly appreciate it. they don't seem to be stressing the plant
in any way, but i'm just trying to ascertain (1) what they are; and (2)
what, if anything, i should do about them. i'd like to avoid poisions if i
can.

Ya got aphids there, John. Obviously they're not good for the plant but
the solution is pretty easy and quick -- go down to your local nursery and
buy yourself a whole boatload of lady beetles. In the evening, dump them
all over the shrubs -- they'll eat 'em right up and then likely stick around
to help ensure the little buggers never come back.

You can also use something like Neem or a soap/oil concoction, but ladybugs
are the best way and if you can get the ladybugs to stick around you'll be
REALLY happy to have them (one of the best beneficial insects you'll ever
have in the garden).

James

Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

JNJ wrote:

don't have a pest identification guide (any www resources appreciated),

but
in the meantime, if anyone can identify the pests at:

http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea1.jpg and
http://www.lpmd.org/gardens/spirea2.jpg

i would certainly appreciate it. they don't seem to be stressing the plant
in any way, but i'm just trying to ascertain (1) what they are; and (2)
what, if anything, i should do about them. i'd like to avoid poisions if i
can.

Ya got aphids there, John. Obviously they're not good for the plant but
the solution is pretty easy and quick -- go down to your local nursery and
buy yourself a whole boatload of lady beetles. In the evening, dump them
all over the shrubs -- they'll eat 'em right up and then likely stick around
to help ensure the little buggers never come back.

A bit of patience, and the native ladybugs will nail them inside of two
weeks. No real need to import them.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:32 PM
xcitor

On 6 May 2003 23:30:50 GMT, xcitor wrote:
| don't have a pest identification guide (any www resources appreciated), but
| in the meantime, if anyone can identify the pests at:

OK, they seem to have been identified as aphids. thanks to all for the quick
get some.

thanks again,
--john
Old 07-05-2003, 01:32 PM
JNJ

A bit of patience, and the native ladybugs will nail them inside of two
weeks. No real need to import them.

Not necessarily. If it's a major infestation though it never hurts to pick
up some at the nursery.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Treetops

Madgardener; have had same problem 3 years running. Used insecticidal soap
but this is getting expensive as I had to apply it weekly all summer. (The
first year I applied Diazinon and for some reason all 20 spireas died within
a week...never found out why. Was told Diazinon was save for Spireas.)
Like your idea of hose plus soap. What type soap and mixture can you
recommend?
I suppose an attachment such as a Miraclegro hose spray bottle would
work????
Is a once a week application effective as long as the aphids keep appearing?
I also intend to get rid of the ants to keep the population down.
Unfortunately the Ladybug population here is almost zero and I don't think
imports would stick around.
Thanks.....Zone 4 newbie.

news

Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 PM
JNJ

Unfortunately the Ladybug population here is almost zero and I don't think
imports would stick around.

Why not? Although you may have problems with insect populations since you
use chemicals.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Treetops

Two years ago I put about 3 dozen imports on my aphid loaded Spirea's and
never saw any sign of them again. Don't know why Ladybugs don't take to this
area; I might see only 2 or 3 all season. Maybe for one of the following
reasons:
- I live deep in the Canadian woods in a non-residential/non-farming area;
few local attractions??
- winter is long and cold down to -25F degrees; low egg survival rate??
- lots of birds, many types; do they eat Ladybugs??
- nature's rules??

Haven't used chemicals for over 2 years and then only on a few selected
shrubs; never on any of my many perrenial beds. Only use insecticidal soap
now, and very selectively on Spirea and Engelmani Ivy only.
Have had hoards of aphids (probably imported on plant material) but alas few
Ladybugs.

"JNJ" wrote in message
Unfortunately the Ladybug population here is almost zero and I don't

think
imports would stick around.

Why not? Although you may have problems with insect populations since you
use chemicals.

[IMG] code is On

Spirea Mellow Yellow Cheryl Isaak Gardening 5 05-08-2004 12:25 AM
Starting spirea Allview Gardening 5 29-04-2004 05:04 PM
Pruning Blue Spirea (caryopteris) and Buddelia (Butterfly bush) Louis Ohland Gardening 2 13-10-2003 07:02 PM
What is growing with my Spirea? Ian Gardening 17 23-05-2003 01:56 PM
Pruning a Spirea Serena Blanchflower United Kingdom 3 25-02-2003 01:27 PM