Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Water Butt Repair?

The message
from (Reg Q) contains these words:

Unfortunately I tried and failed to repair the leak.
It looks as if I'll have to replace it

Any suggestions as to what I can do with the old one - maybe make it
into a compost bin or something? Seems a shame to dump it.

Saw the bottom off, and use it to make extra compost in compost-pies.
Dig a hole a foot deep, the same diameter as the butt, on an area of the
garden that needs composting. Place butt over the hole and fill with
material for a hot compost (manure, grass cuttings, bracken or seaweed)
and water with urine. Put the lid on. When the compost has heated,**
cooled and shrunk, remove the butt (like a sandpie mould ), leave the
compost pie to mature, and start another. The intended advantage is that
you won't have to move or barrow the finished compost.

I'm just trying this out, and considering planting courgettes in the top.

Janet.